The Crazy Crew

The Crazy Crew

Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day Math

Daughter + Husband + Gift Cards = Mall

Welcome to a New Year! Today we went to the mall. It was Christmas gift card shopping day! The husband and the daughter each had some gift cards that they had received on Christmas and we decided they had been cooped up in the house for too many consecutive days so off we went. With the gift cards, and some Pac-loot Alex had received from my boss she ended up with double the amount to spend at Pac-Sun (a teenager type store with clothes that are super cute but wouldn’t even fit around my arm.) While gift cards are incredibly fun to get and spend, they do pose a bit of a problem for people of limited cash who cannot “go over” that amount . . . well, at least not by much. This means that the shopping takes much longer than a normal shopping trip with a teenager . . . so we were there awhile.

I was without gift cards for myself, or the size needed to fit into anything so I was the holder of the things “we may get.” I would figure out the amounts of each item based on the sale price, the additional discounts, and how that worked with our Pac-loot and gift card amounts. The key was we had $50 and two $25 Pac-loots. Pac-loot is where you spend $50 and get $25 off so it is like a 50% off coupon. I think today is the closest I have ever come to using those Algebra classes they insist you have in order to have a college degree. We were deciding if we buy X flannel shirts and Y pants would that equal us being able to also acquire T-shirts squared? In the end, the equation worked out almost perfect. We only had to make a minor adjustment quickly, right at the end with a + headband multi-pack which all = $6.43 cash owed. Whew . . . what a workout.

Thank heaven that Lester’s shopping was much easier. JC Penny gift cards and he spent less than the amount, with no tricky coupon things. He picks up a couple things puts some back down and heads to the register. Man shopping is so much quicker! After our shopping excursion, we were hungry and headed home, had dinner, and settled in for the night.
Boredom + Yarn = Scarf

Alex and I in a quest for more fun, on a tight budget, decided to dig through moving boxes the other night to find all my crochet/knitting stuff. I had decided I needed a blue and orange scarf for the Fiesta Bowl on Monday so I got out my crochet stuff tonight and found some Bronco colored yarn and went to town. It is not like riding a bike . . . I hadn’t crocheted since before I started back to college in 2004. This is a skill that did not come right back. I have now fumbled my way through however and have about 1/3 of a scarf that will not win any prize at a state fair but will do for showing my support of the BSU Broncos at the bowl game on Monday. Originally back in 2002 I went to crochet class (my daughter went to class too) so that when I am old, if I go blind, then I would have an activity to do.

I am not a fan of boredom and normally have many activities going on at once. Currently I blog, write in a journal, crochet, teach classes, read, and keep thinking I need to use my sewing machine, scrapbook, and get to exercising. My goal is to do as many things as possible . . . try everything and see what I enjoy. I never know what I will learn in 2010 that will turn out to be my next habit, obsession, or hobby but I am excited to find out. If you have any suggestions, that can fit in amongst my already crazy busy life be sure to let me know . . . I am always open to suggestions! Just keep in mind for now I am broke so anything that can be crafted out of recyclables would be best.

No comments:

Post a Comment