The Crazy Crew

The Crazy Crew

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bliss for a Buck

I have come to the conclusion that I can be quite obsessed. I cling to things with childlike enthusiasm that most individuals don’t spend much time thinking about at all. Today I am really excited for a trip to Target at lunch with a co-worker friend of mine. Now, you know I am totally broke so why be excited to purposefully go somewhere and torture myself with all the fun things I can’t own? One very good reason . . . popcorn.

This is an ongoing story of unbridled passion and lust over the salty and crunchy goodness of every golden kernel. I love, love, love to go to the movie theater and it has nothing to do with the movies, yeah they are good and all but I can always watch the same movie at home a few months later for $1 when it makes it to the Redbox (see blog entry on “Poor Folk Fun” for more on Redbox) and then I can also wear my PJ’s (better known at my house as comfies.) Movies to me mean being able to get the king of all deliciousness (Tub o’ Popcorn) accompanied by a big soda, days that include these two components are heavenly!

Now for years the movie people had secretly held tight to how this popcorn deliciousness was actually created (they were more tightly lipped than that Bush’s beans dog.) In the past the only way you could get your hot little hands on the buttery delight was to fork out money for a ticket to get into the movie and then hand over two arms and a leg and hop yourself into the theater on one leg while holding the bucket in your teeth. Not any more . . . along came Target. The store must be owned by someone in the mob because Target’s popcorn is a perfect replica of actual movie theater popcorn. Mobsters are notoriously well connected and have ways to get trade secret popcorn making steps out of a person who otherwise would not talk.

Just a side note and word of warning . . .Those microwave versions that say things like “Movie Theater Butter” are lying sacks of crap . . . do not be duped by them! The 98% fat free versions are fine however, in case you were wondering. Not heavenly but it will calm the craving until you can get your next real fix.

I knew yesterday at about 1 pm that today I would be tagging along with my friend to Target at lunch and I have thought about this trip about as many times as sex crosses a 19 year old male mind in that same time period . . . in case you didn’t get that reference it has been A LOT. Truth be told I actually suggested to her the trip to Target yesterday by pointing out something she would love in the weekly circular that happens to be available and on sale today. How self serving am I? Who the crap cares I am going to get popcorn! I have been thrilled for nearly 24 hours that for $1 I will get to indulge in my obsession. We head to Target at about noon, a few hours from now . . . and by 1 pm today I plan to be in a dopamine coma, lips salty and shining, curved into a smile . . . blissfully happy. Did any of you know you could buy bliss for a buck?

No comments:

Post a Comment